Location: Washington, D.C.
Intent: The Government Hospital for the Insane, established in 1852 and officially renamed St. Elizabeths Hospital in 1916, was the federal government’s first hospital designed to care for the nation’s mentally ill. The Continuing Treatment (CT) Campus was constructed on the east campus between 1933 and 1943. EHT Traceries, Inc., is working to complete a Historic Preservation Certification Application, to convert the vacant building into affordable housing units. The project will conform with all requirements from the National Park Service, Commission of Fine Arts, and the DC Historic Preservation Office, and will follow the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation. In addition, the project will meet with all requirements of the 2015 Enterprise Green Communities Criteria, including the installation of a solar panel array on the property.
Client: Flaherty and Collins Properties
Project Size: Seven Buildings on 10.9 acres
Project Dates: 2016-present